The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), launched mAadhaar app. The Mobile Aadhaar app allows the users to carry their Aadhaar Information(card) on their smartphones.While announcing the launch, UIDAI tweeted “LAUNCHING #mAadhaar- Carry your Aadhaar on your Mobile. The android app from UIDAI is now available on Google Play”
The mAadhaar app has been launched only for Android users as of now, which is already available on Google Play, but might release soon for iOS as well. The mAadhaarapp’s description clearly states that users need to have their mobile numbers registered with their Aadhaar in order to use the app.So, with the mAadhaar app, users will be able to download Aadhaar number profile through their smartphones and will not require hard copies of the card.
According the official details the app has 5 key features:
- Aadhaar Number Holder profile download: A easy way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
- Update of profile:After successful completion of Aadhaar update request, it shows An updated view of Aadhaar profile data.
- Biometric locking/unlocking:The app also allows users to lock or unlock biometrics data. Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or Disable the Locking system.
- TOTP generation: Time-based One-Time Password is an automatically generated temporary password which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
- Sharing of QR code and eKYC data by Aadhaar Number holder: Share QR code and password protected eKYC data to get back the accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
The launch of application for Aadhaar has made government’s case stronger against Supreme Court. Since past two months, the government and the apex court has been arguing on making Aadhaar mandatory for filing ITR.