It is more important to know the SEO terms for the people who in to SEO industry to communicate same to the technical team for better understanding whenever is required.
Below are the list of 30 important SEO terms or glossary one has to know about it in detail:
1) Keyword Analysis: This analysis part is done to list out keywords for the website and activity is done using competitor analysis, google keyword planner and google trends.
2) 301 Redirect: This is permanent redirection that we do for the an URL. For suppose, if you have old URL have been changed and want the same to be redirected to the new URL then the concept of 301 redirection comes in to picture.
3) Alt Tag : This is one of the attribute that we use for Image optimization for Google to understand what actually the image is all about.
4) Image Optimization: This activity is important to optimize images in the website to make it SEO friendly.
5) Anchor Text : This text helps search engines to know more about the destination page. Anchor text is nothing but the text given to the clickable link.
6) Algorithm: This is update released by Google to penalize the websites.
7) Panda Update: This is update released by Google to penalize the websites based on the content that include thin content or duplicate content.
8) Penguin Update: This is update released by Google to penalize the websites based on the backlinks i.e. low quality backlinks.
9) Google Analytics: This is free tool provided by Google for the webmaster to track the performance of different channels of the website and other features include demographics, technology, devices and many others.
10) Google Webmaster Console: This is free tool provided by Google to understand the issues reported by search engine of the website and other features include search analytics, sitemap submission, backlinks data, accelerated mobile pages, internal links, fetch as google. index status and many others.
11) Canonical URL: There are situations wherein same page content can access in more one URL, so to help Google to understand which is the best one among the two, we use concept of Canonical URL.
12) Authority(DA) and (PA): Authority is calculated based on the quality of incoming links or backlinks of a website.
13) Backlink : It is one of the important ranking factor for the website. Incoming link that a particular website had acquired is called as the “backlink”.
14) Bounce Rate: User visiting the website and leaving without viewing any other page of the website.
15) Bot (Crawler or Spider): This is nothing but called as crawler or spider of a search engine that crawls the pages of the website and places the same in the search index.
16) Canonical issues : If you have duplicate content or pages in your website then we use the concept of canonicalization and it is done by placing noindex tag in non-canonical pages or do a permanent 301 redirect.
17) Cloaking : This is one of the black hat technique used by spammers to mislead search engines by having different content to search engines than that seen by the humans. There is every chance of getting your website banned by this activity, so please avoid doing this activity.
18) Content Optimization: This is one of the main factor of onsite audit for a website wherein you should ensure unique content is part of each of the page to avoid duplication and at the same time, ensure to have 2 to 3% of targeted keywords in the content to better optimization of the page. It is advisable to have atleast 700 to 1000 words of content for each of the page.
19) Conversion: It is nothing but user completing the flow which is nothing but filling form of sign ups or registrations is called as conversions.
20) Headings: This is considered as one of the factor in onsite audit of a website. Headings include <H1>,<H2> till <H6>. Text placed in <H1> has larger font whereas the least tag is <H6>, ensure to have keywords in <H1> tag and each of the page should have only one <H1> tag as best practice.
21) Indexed Pages: Are the pages indexed by Google after making it live.
22) Keyword Density: It is nothing percentage of keywords used in the content.
23) Internal Link: Link created to navigate from one page to other page within the same website.
24) Link Building: In SEO terms, we call it as offsite submission activity wherein we do certain set of activities that include guest blogging, social bookmarking, forums,question & answers and many others to gain ranking for the keywords.
25) Google Dance: The change is ranking positions of the keywords based on the Google updates or algorithm.
26) Robots.txt: This is file created in the root folder of the website to block unwanted or secure pages of the website from crawling by Google bot.
27) Sitemap: List of pages of the website complied and placed at one place of the website for Google to crawl.
28) HTML Sitemap: This sitemap is created basically from user prospective wherein you will find complete list of pages of the website at one place.
29) XML Sitemap: This sitemap is created basically from Google prospective to make it easy for Google bot to crawl faster.
30) Title and Meta tags: Title is the heading information that you see in the search result of a website. Meta tags includes meta description which you can see just below the “Title” tag of the search result and meta keyword is other tag of meta tag which is not given much importance now.